Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I think the dog has PTSD

or some kind of a complex anyway! A few days after we came home from the hospital with Nehemiah, and Ben's first day back at work, I woke up around 6am to nurse and realized it was a beautiful, sunny morning. I thought it would be nice for Maltby (our dog) to spend some time outside until I woke up again for good.

At about 9am I heard a ruckus, and swore that someone was breaking into our little house. I rushed out of the room, and found Maltby inside. I thought perhaps I was delirious from lack of sleep and had not actually put him outside to begin with, but I still couldn't figure out the noise. I went in the laundry room, and it became apparent that Maltby, upon seeing the screen blown out of the window, and the window open, decided to jump through our window and into the house. I'd say it was a good 4 and 1/2 feet. I was really surprised! Then I noticed that the wind had picked up unexpectedly, and there were a few large limbs down in the yard. I figured Maltby was so freaked out that he climbed to safety. Feeling bad for him, I petted him to calm him down and fussed over him quite a bit.

The rest of the summer, Maltby spent his time ruining our screens trying to climb back in the windows. I chalked it up to him adjusting to the new baby. Since then however, he has been, REALLY FREAKED out by the wind. I mean crawl under desk and hide freaked out! It is quite humorous to watch an 80 pound dog curl up under our desk, though it can also be annoying when he is on you like ugly on an ape at the slightest hint of a breeze!

Last night, he spent the night wandering the house scratching on doors and whining. It was really windy yesterday, and I think he had a ton of pent up nervous energy. That morning around 4am, as the wind began, he nudged his way into the nursery and licked Nehemiah until he woke up. Because, as you know, 9 month olds are great comfort when one perceives a hurricane!

Uugh! I must admit my patience with him wears thin--especially when he deprives me of one of my current best friends...sleep!

No comments: