Thursday, June 5, 2008

Doctors, Nurses, and Phlebotomists, Oh My!

Yep. Today was the big day. I took Nehemiah in to the allergist, who was a jovial old doc--probably one of the best doctor-patient manners I've seen. Which was nice. The conversation was easy and informative, and he doesn't seem to have a cocky bone in his body--hurray! Instead of pretending like he knew all of the answers, he actually looked some up for me while I was sitting there. (I VERY MUCH appreciate this, because just like a teacher does not know everything about education, a doctor cannot possibly know all there is to know medically--there has to be room for growth and learning! Pardon my soap box!)

He promptly sent us over to the lab for a blood test called the RAST. We should have the results in 3-5 business days--it's one they have to send out. He also armed me with an Epipen Jr. and the dosing for Children's Benadryl, a list of foods that are naturally high in histamines and may look like they are starting an allergic reaction when they aren't (incl. strawberries--who knew?), a list of researched, on top of it websites for more information, a line on an excellent reference resource, and the names of two pediatricians in my area that he works with on a pretty regular basis for pediatric allergy concerns. All in all, I call it a success! We are waiting on some more answers from the labs, but I am happy to feel equipped anyway.

He does not see concern for Celiac's (gluten) Disease from the current symptoms, so that is a blessing, because that would not be fun.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, and keep 'em coming!

No comments: