Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Kind of Over It!

Going to the Urgent Care Clinic/Emergency Room/Doctor that is!!!

Uugh!

This afternoon Nehemiah woke up from his nap wheezing SO loud and with blue lips! I called the ambulance, because it seemed like he might be going downhill fast, and we live so far out!

10-15 minutes later when the First Responders arrived, Nehemiah was wheezing slightly, but had calmed down considerably. Enough that they thought we could cancel the ambulance as long as I got him in to Urgent Care (about an hour away).

I was so freaked out! I let myself think what the worst would be for a minute or so while I was trying to decide what to do, and I have to tell you that was terrifying.

Ben decided to go to the Urgent Care with us. It seems I was frustrated at many turns. I called our local clinic and explained the situation, and they said that even in that situation there was no time to get Nehemiah in this afternoon, so instead of driving 15 minutes and having someone see some of the symptoms still in action, we saw a doctor nearly 2 hours after the fact.

I have to say, I felt sort of dismissed by the doctor. He did some really unnerving things, even asking me if Nehemiah had a "right heart," as in his heart could be on the right side of his body. It didn't inspire confidence that the doctor was looking at a chest x-ray and wasn't positive which side the heart was on (to be fair, Nehemiah did move at the last minute, and he was twisted a bit). The doctor decided it wasn't enough to warrant another x-ray, and he thinks it was some flukey one-time thing where Nehemiah got some mucous stuck in his throat that he couldn't expel...Yeah, I don't really buy it. I hope so, but I don't really know what to think!

Can we say frustrating???!!!???

I am just glad Nehemiah is doing okay now; the monitor will definitely be on tonight!

4 comments:

Susan said...

:O Oh wow, that's terrifying!! But at least your little one is breathing easy now. *hugs* What a scary time for you guys! And I would be really annoyed at the treatment you guys got as well. They always say "better safe than sorry", so when you *are* safe, and they treat you like that, well... it doesn't really inspire you to do that again, does it. Well, like I said, he's breathing easy now! I have Thursday off if you wanna hang out?
xxx

Zoe said...

I'm glad he's okay, but I'm sorry about the hassle. This kind of stuff must be terrifying.

Nikki said...

That would be terrifying! We'll pray for Nehemiah's health and your nerves.

Sarah said...

So glad Nehemiah is doing ok!! I know how scary that can be!!

I have a couple kids with breathing issues that arise every now and then... and one of the things I have learned is to trust YOUR instinct. God has made YOU Nehemiah's mother for a reason. I have been shrugged off by doctors only to find out the doctors were wrong... I think it's worth it to find a doctor you can really trust!!

Good luck, I'll be praying for you and Nehemiah!