Saturday, May 31, 2008

Uugh!

I was hoping to do a fabulously upbeat post about my very fun 26th birthday and it's accompanying events and gifts...I still hope to get to that soon, by the way, but currently I have something else weighing on my mind.

I think my little one has some pretty serious food allergies. :( I have watched as some of my close family members have been in this situation--thank goodness, or I wouldn't have any idea what I may be getting into, but I know it will be tough if that is what is going on.

We've been a bit concerned about that possibility ever since we introduced Nehemiah to some finger food baby cereals with wheat and or corn in them. Please don't tell me we have a gluten allergy?!! Though Ben has a cousin with one, so there is some history there.

Anyway, today I was making peanut butter sandwiches on wheat bread for some friends' boys for lunch, and I opened up Nehemiah's rice rusks to start him on before I got a chance to wash my hands. Not too much later he looked as if he'd eaten a cherry Popsicle! He had this lovely red hue to most of his face around his lips, and then white bumps that looked like mosquito bites began to appear, and his nose got runny. It all passed within 15 or 20 minutes, but it definitely means a trip to the allergist and SOON!

Whether it is wheat or peanuts (that's the kicker on our side of the family), I am going to need to know. I could continue playing the avoidance game, but we live nearly an hour from the nearest emergency room, and there are no doctors or Emergicare type places on weekends here. So playing the avoidance game not quite good enough might mean playing with Nehemiah's life if he starts an anaphylactic reaction. I don't mean to be alarmist; I think the chances of that just yet are slim (though reactions get progressively more serious each time an allergen is encountered), but it would be tragic not to take these signs serious enough, and be proven too cavalier.

All in all, it's a great big, GIANT, Uuugh! Moment. :(

Say a prayer for Ben and I that we will have wisdom, and for Nehemiah that he will stay safe!

1 comment:

brentandsarah said...

oh no!! That is terrible!! I'll be praying for wisdom for you two!

Sarah