Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Renewed Purpose

Perhaps you have been wondering what has happened in the Saga of the Squirrel since I last posted about it here. I haven't been deliberately eluding you on the subject, there has just been absolutely nothing to report. Zippo. Zilch. Nada.

We haven't seen any squirrels since the beginning of December, of any color. No reds, grays, blacks, purples (ha!). That is until this morning.

I looked out the window as I was eating my breakfast, and there was a little red squirrel eating sunflower seeds on the ground under the bird feeder.

I started shrieking the word, Squirrel! Repeatedly. And my dog, who normally tosses a glance toward the window and then charges for the door looked at me as if I'd lost my mind. For a good 20 seconds. It even took Ben awhile to realize what was happening so he could hype Maltby up and show him that it was really true.

Then the fracas began. Running and barking and jumping and squealing (by Nehemiah). Maltby rushed out the door; though by this time the squirrel was well aware that something was happening that he ought to be concerned about and was long up the tree.

Oh well. Our dog is getting fat. In a way I hope the squirrel comes back. My guys could all use the exercise. Ben's plan is to let it get nice and comfortable and bring some of its friends to the seed feed before he begins to exact his revenge for the incident. I'll let you know how it goes.

PS--If I don't post for awhile, don't be too worried. I have caught the crud that is going around, and I was having contractions--or as they call them in Hypnobabies...birthing or pressure waves all yesterday. It was just a warm up, but I had really convinced myself that this little one wouldn't be coming until March! That could still be the case, but I am a little low energy currently, so I'm making no promises! ;)

No comments: