Friday, February 20, 2009

Blessed

It has been a week since my Blessingway. Would you like to know what a blessingway is? Here is how the hostess described it:
Blessingway ceremonies – different from a baby shower – are thought to have originated with the Navajo tribe, although similar rituals were also practiced in many other cultures. The basic premise of the ceremony is to celebrate the joy, privilege and honor of motherhood, and to encourage, uplift and energize the mother-to-be. So often in our society, pregnancy and birth have become more and more focused on the negative (the pain, the long labor, the exhaustion), and focusing on the negative is no way to enter into one of God’s most sacred of occupations! A blessingway focuses on the positive aspects, so that the cumulative strength of the mothers and women surrounding the momma-to-be can help bring her through what can be a difficult time. This ceremony is easily ‘adapted’ to a Christian view – the other women and mothers can pray and call on God’s strength and comfort for Erin so that she will know He is with her every step (and push!) of the way.
It was really great to have my friends and family actively supporting me and my choices for this second birth. There was a bead ceremony where each lady added a bead to a string for each child they have and told a positive aspect of their pregnancy or birthing or babyhood for that child. I now have a beautiful set of beads to symbolize that encouragement for me when my birthing time comes.

My mom was unable to come--there are a few miles between us! So she sent these wonderful blessings to be read--one for each of her children, as well as a prayer:

Erin

Awhile back Erin sent me a Mr. Roger's quote, "I realize that it isn't very fashionable to talk about some things as being holy. Nevertheless, if we ever want to rid ourselves of personal and corporate emptiness, brokenness, loneliness and fear, we will have to allow ourselves room for that which we cannot see, hear, touch or control." While I was carrying Erin I got to live this in a way that I had never had opportunity before. Through Erin's birth and life I have come to a new understanding of what is holy and how God works in each of us to see His holiness as He works it out in the world. From the beginning she was a beautiful gift. Her "bounce" and laughter have been like sunshine to me more times than she can possibly remember or know. May your daughter be her own uniquely crafted gift to you and to the world. May you see by her light things that you may never have seen on your own. And may your heart soar at the sight of them.

John

Ah, the blessing of boys! You have already come to taste a little of that. When he was very little one of John's favorite books was "I'll Love You Forever." In the beginning of it the mom rocks her new born son and sings, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be." At the end of the book the grown boy sings to his elderly mom, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my Mommy you'll be." Erin, may your children rise up to call you blessed. May they love you forever, like you for always and praise God for your influence on their lives.

Prayer:

Dear Lord,

You have called Erin to be a mother. Thank you for choosing to bring life into the world through her. I pray that You will make her worthy of her calling. Strengthen and encourage her, fulfill every resolve she has for good and every work she undertakes by faith with which to bless her family and bring glory to You, her Savior. By Your grace make her children Yours. I pray that this new little one, Adelynne, will be a delight to You and to her parents. Bring Erin and Ben such joy in her that they know it can only come from You.

In Your Holy Name, Amen
My mom based the prayer on 2Thessalonians 1:11-12, because she's awesome like that!

Each lady also lit a small candle around the bigger one--which I lit. They took home their candle, and they are going to light them and say a prayer for me when they hear that either I am in the process of having Adelynne or am a Mommy to our sweet addition! I think that is a really neat thing to think on!



They also prayed over me with a laying on of hands, which was powerful and uplifting! How wonderful to have these women who have gone before and with me in this endeavor supporting me and lifting me up to the Lord in prayer!

There were also many yummy treats, and though they were not the purpose of this gathering, everyone was very generous in their gift giving--I'm going to have the cutest baby girl on the block (make that acre--lol)!

My friend Lisa's daughter, Sydni took the pictures while I was busy soaking in blessings!

The budding photographer herself.

Sorry for the delinquent post--we have been laid up sick here at the Frank house this week. Nehemiah has his first ear infections--yep--one in each ear, and I have had a wretched cold! I went to my OB appointment today, and apparently Adelynne is hanging on to my ear lobes, and I may be vying for the Lakes area record for longest pregnancy (not that funny of a joke actually, thank you doctor--especially since I am technically 39 weeks tomorrow!). I guess we'll see what happens, but I am sure the Lord will be faithful in His timing for us, Adelynne, and our support team! We covet your prayers in the meantime!


No comments: