Thursday, October 23, 2008

Squash-ed!


This morning at my mom's group, we were talking about homemade soups, and I love squash soups, though I haven't actually made any from scratch. A few of the moms hadn't had any squashy soups, so I thought I'd dig through my recipes for one I clipped knowing it would be pretty quick and painless. I have yet to make it, but if you do, please leave a comment telling me how it is! I hope to make it soon. Sorry to not give entirely proper credit, but I don't remember where the clipping is from. It does say it is from the American Heart Association No-Fad Diet. :) Enjoy!

Curried Pumpkin Soup
Serves 4

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 C. minced onion

15 oz. can solid-pack pumpkin
1 1/2 C. water
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. cayenne
1 C. fat free half-and-half
1 Tbs. light tub margarine
1 tsp. sugar
  • Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Pour the oil into the pan and swirl to coat bottom. Cook the onion for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
  • Stir in the pumpkin, water, curry powder, salt, and cayenne. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
  • Stir in the half-and half, margarine and sugar. Cover and let stand for 3 minutes to allow the flavors to blend before serving.
I have to admit, that I am unlikely to use margarine or fat-free half-and half, as I prefer the more natural full of fat varieties. ;)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The soup sounds yummy. I think that I would have to replace the half & half with yogurt or soy sour cream. (I don't think that they make lactose-free half & half.)

Andrea