Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Learning

I was so blessed to learn as much as I did during my pregnancy with Adelynne about pregnancy and birthing. The learning continues as I've had two rough starts (but successful!) with breastfeeding! And Ben and I have also started up with natural family planning. These things combined have given me a new and greater appreciation for God's design of mama's bodies, and babies. I have so enjoyed learning these things, and I hope that I can pass on my knowledge to as many people as possible. I've been thinking that after my little one's are grown, I may go back to school to get trained as a Certified Nurse Midwife.

I have had some great nurses and doctors and some not so great. It is amazing the questions I asked of multiple "experts" that I later (sometimes too late) found answers to on my own because the questions were brushed aside. I love discovering those answers, and like I said, passing them on!

Since Adelynne has been born I have learned an important thing about my body that I believe will change future births into more comfortable experiences. And as far as nursing goes...check out what I've read just today...so fun!

This tells all about why you don't formula supplement in the hospital at first if you are hoping to start a good breastfeeding relationship, and in such a cute way!

This one about God's design for that first milk, colostrum, to help heal babies' developing intestines.

And self-attachment is something I had read about before Nehemiah and Adelynne were born, but apparently I should have looked into it further, because I wasn't quite patient enough! They both developed such painful latching techniques initially, and Adelynne and I ended up back in the hospital for observation because she wasn't gaining weight properly--all because of a bad latch. I can't help but wonder if I had waited, what God might have shown me! Thank goodness I'll probably have another chance someday!

I found these links by reading a fascinating blog by a black woman advocating for breastfeeding. Her blog is called Blacktating, and I have to say I didn't realize it was as rare as it is in the black community! I am blessed to be in a community where breastfeeding is the norm, though I think I will be surprised how rare it really is elsewhere--what a shame!

Sorry, I started rambling, and I hear Nehemiah babbling away in his room, up from his nap, so, I'd better jet! Thanks for looking with me a little deeper into God's design. I am excited to see what else He reveals to me about these things; I am so in awe with each new revelation!

No comments: