Monday, January 5, 2009

Date night on the taiga

tai⋅ga
–noun the coniferous evergreen forests of subarctic lands, covering vast areas of northern North America and Eurasia.

I wanted to do something different tonight. It is bitterly cold and rather snowy, and it is important to mix it up as much as you can in an effort to keep your thoughts warm and cheery! So, while browsing some of my usual online haunts, I found a recipe for snow ice cream! There is even a cute little tutorial to go with it! I wanted to try it out with Nehemiah at some point, but tonight it was to make up a mini-date with Ben. :)

Here are our own pictures...the results are happily in our tummies! This is very easy and takes just a little bit of time. You also don't have to use your hands if you are wimpy because it isn't above zero where you are. We just used our spatula, and it all worked out fine!

Ben shoveling out to the unadulterated white stuff.

Scooping the snow into the mixing bowl.


Mixing the ingredients.

Coming together.

Ready to eat!

All done!

To all of you out there joining in this crazy winter, you should try this with your family and kids and let me know what you think! Not gourmet, but a very fun, sweet treat! <3

3 comments:

brentandsarah said...

Well this sounds like making lemonade out of lemons...or rather ice cream out of snow! I think I'll make this with the kids. I'm glad the recipe doesn't call for eggs, I've tried one before that called for them and it doesn't seem right. See you Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. If only we had snow, rather than rain, we might have to try it...

Andrea

Nikki said...

We tried the egg nog version on Tuesday night...it was a hit with the whole family. Tasty treat and a way to pass the night.