Sunday, June 13, 2010

Craving Community

I am coming to realize the depths of my deprivation of community living in the country. Many people fantasize about and truly love such a life; I had hoped to be one of them...I am not! And it is good to know about myself.

It is a breath of fresh air for me to live in a neighborhood again. I can bake cookies and bring them to my neighbors (not saying I have, but hey, I could!), I can offer my assistance to one of the many elderly widows on our street, and they remind me of the wisdom and love of old age--love that I have missed since my GG passed away. My son can yell out the window to his friends across the street and say hi to passersby as they walk.

I hurt my knee badly--tore my ACL, at one of the worst foreseeable times to do so. And the Lord is wrapping me in community. He is using it to care for me. For my kids. And for my spirit. And, I know that when I am back at it again, there are going to be places that I am needed to reciprocate. I am going to be an important part of my neighborhood, and I love that.

Thank you Jesus for walking with me, and showing me your care, even when things are a bit rough. Thank you for your provision. Thank you for my street, and my town, and my friends, new and old. You go before me always, and for that, I am forever grateful!

1 comment:

felicitouschick said...

I just realized that I wrote a nearly identical post a few days ago--sorry! Just what is on my heart lately, I guess. :)